What is the impact of the yeast extract ingredient used in this recipe?
- Rich flavored broth
- 4 slices of French bread
- 3/4 cup of cheddar cheese
- 2 medium sweet onions
- 2 tsp flour
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 tsp yeast extract (such as Marmite or Vegimite)
- 2 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
- 2 1/2 cups of hot water
- Melt butter in a large saucepan at medium heat and saute onions until golden brown.
- Stir in pepper, flour and sugar and cook for 2-4 minutes.
- Mix in the yeast extract water mixture and bring it to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to a simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the onions are tender.
- Place the French bread in a casserole dish, pour the soup into the dish and grate cheese over the top.
- Place in a hot oven at 350°F, until the cheese is melted.
Let cool and enjoy!