What is the impact of the yeast extract ingredient used in this recipe?
- Adds a dark malty flavor
- Gives an umami impact
- 1 1/4 lbs chicken breast, cut into chunks
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup of water
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp yeast extract (such as Marmite or Vegemite)
- Combine the marinade ingredients together in a plastic bag. Add the chicken pieces and stir to coat. Set in the refrigerator for at least 1-2 hours.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan. Lightly fry the onions with a pinch of salt for 15 minutes or until softened. Add the onions into a bowl, leaving any oil in the pan.
- Turn the heat up on the pan and add a little more oil. Setting aside the remaining marinade, stir-fry the chicken pieces until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Add 1/3 cup of water, marinade, honey, soy sauce, and fish sauce, bringing to boil. Simmer for 3-5 minutes or until the sauce has begun to reduce.
- Add the chicken and onion and simmer until completely cooked through.